F2 Champion

The end of Autocourse?

Post by Alex0077 »

Who live in UK,
did you hear something about new
Autocourse 2010/2011
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Autocourse-2010 ... 1291808897

???

Cause it was announced for December 1st, and now the week later no 1 real book in the world,
Amazon.com for USA show released date only Feb 1st of 2011,
I think they really understand atht before Christmas they can sell x10 more books that after, so, is it the end?

Autocourse changed publisher 5 times at least = Rafalgar -> 1963/64 Autocourse Publication Limited -> 1966-67 Haymarket Press -> 1975-76 Hazleton Publishing -> 200x Icon Publishing

So best annual can't make good sales?

Time to move to Official Formula 1 Season Review?

Who have some book from this series?
Autocourse is better as I think or similar?

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Re: The end of Autocourse?

Post by SBEST »

It has never been available from Amazon until post February.

You may get it from the Automotive Book Supplier - in December if supplies exist. I used to get it from these suppliers in December. However, the price advantages convinced me to go to Amazon.

This year - I might wait until it is available from secondary suppliers (ebay) because price might be even lower. Once, I read it .... it goes on the shelf. And while the book is done artistically it really does not approach the level of the early 70's - 80's books.

Steve

generationx
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by generationx »

I have had this on order since the end of the season, and in my Amazon account it promised me dispatch today (8th December). Now there is this rather ambiguous note saying they'll inform me when it's available. Hmmm.

This much I know as I have family connections to the motoring publishing world: This year the publishing/distribution side of Autocourse/Icon has changed hands. Consequently the shop where I used to buy it (Collectors Car Books), and (from what I've heard) many others, are now struggling to get a good supply. This is the only reason I went to Amazon this year.

I have every issue of Autocourse since 1967. I believe, having looked at many of its competitors, that this is consistently the best Formula One annual available. I will be very upset if this title (just like its sister Rallycourse did a couple of years ago) disappears. It is definitive.

Edit: I have just looked at the Motor Books website, they say the book is due "late December"

BT46B
F1 Test Driver
F1 Test Driver

Post by BT46B »

GenX, I'm impressed - every issue back to 1967! Ten years ago I back-filled my collection to 1975 buying issues as they came up on eBay whether sold in the States or the UK. (Getting issues delivered in a Royal Mail bag was a kick).
To this post in general, I remember many times where the promised delivery date was far too optimistic and the issues didn't arrive until a month or two later.
"Of all the pretenders who have come after my five World Championships, I felt only he had what it takes."
-- Juan Manuel Fangio speaking after the death of Ayrton Senna da Silva

AntPhillips
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by AntPhillips »

I also have mine on pre-order with Amazon, funnily it was at a better price than pre-ordering direct from the publisher (it's part of my Xmas present from my wife actually), we've had an e-mail this morning to say that it is now expected to despatch on Dec 17th, I've warned her that we might not get it in time for her to wrap it up.
Happy modelling
Ant

'Travelling at the speed of dark since 1965'

Flemming
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Flemming
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jackie Stewart - Tyrrell
Denmark

Post by Flemming »

Mine is on the way from Duke, so the end didn't happen in the 60th anniversary year...

Flemming

generationx
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by generationx »

Mine arrived from Amazon last week. Won't see it until Saturday.

AntPhillips
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by AntPhillips »

Mine came yesterday, likewise it has been put away so Santa can deliver it.
Happy modelling
Ant

'Travelling at the speed of dark since 1965'