McLaren MP4/8

Area to upload images, movies, etc. of simulated F1 cars, i.e. models

Topic author
Martocticvs
Backmarker
Backmarker

McLaren MP4/8

Post by Martocticvs »

Husker suggested I post this on here, and I guess this is the right location for it. Some of you might be aware I also dabble in 3D modelling (actually that's usually more my thing!), and that I built the MP4/8 a few years back.

I have since noticed a few inaccuracies, which have irritated me for long enough that I've had to do something about them! So without further ado, this is a quick test render I ran off this afternoon to see how things are looking after my first pass over the model. New low downforce rear wing and improved tyre profiles already in place.

F1Modlz
Top Designer
Top Designer

Re: McLaren MP4/8

Post by F1Modlz »

Pardon my ignorance but is that the model or the 3d cad design, I am looking at it on my phone but it looks very nice

Paul

saleem
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by saleem »

You should have just said here a model I hand built in 1/2 and had them all drooooling!

F1Modlz
Top Designer
Top Designer

Post by F1Modlz »

saleem wrote:You should have just said here a model I hand built in 1/2 and had them all drooooling!

I guess from that it's a 3d image lol

Paul

generationx
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by generationx »

As a 3D cad designer by profession I can truly say that is excellent work.

saleem
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by saleem »

I was learning how to use maya, I will have to go back to it as the software is great.it takes a lot to build something like the op made.wish I could get to them kind of levels.
:)

dgwoodward2
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Don Woodward
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
United States of America

Post by dgwoodward2 »

That rendering is beautiful. I wish I had that ability. Thanks for sharing,

Topic author
Martocticvs
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by Martocticvs »

Thanks guys. It's not there yet though. As I said, this is just a blind test render to give myself a baseline on my new material settings. I haven't touched any of the carbon fibre yet, so that's still set up for my old, physically inaccurate render setup. I was sufficiently pleased with the result to run it through my usual post processing, although even that is not optimised for this subject. I don't want to spend too much time on this now, considering how I originally started this project back in 2006 (and 'finished' it last time on 2011!)... But the OCD kicked in and there was really nothing I could do about it ;)

Topic author
Martocticvs
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by Martocticvs »

A little closer to the end now. I revised the exhausts, made them look a little newer inline with how they were at the races, and added some heat staining. A few tweaks needed still, but essentially the look I was after.

At this point I've finished upgrading all the materials on the car, corrected pretty much all the innaccuracies I intended... so it's pretty much done.

This should be the car as it appeared for the Belgian Grand Prix. I accidentally turned on the wet tyres.. not sure if it rained that weekend!

Lighting and my post processing are killing the red at the moment. Need to fix that!

Click for the full size image.

-Felix-
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Felix
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark
Germany

Post by -Felix- »

Incredible work! Really nice to see all the details!

Only 2 things popped to my eye. First, when the wheels point straight forward, so should the steering wheel ;) Guess that's a 10 second job. Second, the antenna of the nose lid is floating in the air where it supposed to be when the lid is on, but it should stay on the lid I guess when you take it off:)

Again, fantastic job!!!