Halo and Grosjean

Area to upload images, movies, etc. of real world F1 cars.

fooesboy
F2
F2

Re: Halo and Grosjean

Post by fooesboy »

smirkoff wrote:I think the FIA should do random checks during the season, as they do with the cars' weight.
I don't know about now, but 2005 -2006 the FIA did random checks, especially if the driver had an injury and random driver extraction tests with the marshals.

Auspuff
Formula e
Formula e

Post by Auspuff »

stubeck wrote:Smirkoff, the FIA said when introducing the halo the allowed time to leave the car was now longer. They're now allowed to leave the car within 10 seconds instead of 5. They haven't given an explanation of why this is.
It is actually 7 seconds, not 10. It used to be that they had to extract themselves from the cockpit in 5 seconds and have the steering wheel reattached within 10 seconds. Now they have to extract themselves in 7 seconds and have the steering wheel reattached within 12 seconds.

13.1.4 From his normal seating position, with all seat belts fastened and whilst wearing his usual
driving equipment, the driver must be able to remove the steering wheel and get out of the
car within 7 seconds and then replace the steering wheel in a total of 12 seconds.
For this test, the position of the steered wheels will be determined by the FIA technical
delegate and after the steering wheel has been replaced steering control must be
maintained.

Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

Post by Orso »

Why must the steering wheel be replaced? Will Grosjan be punished if he didn't go back in to the flames to replace it?

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

CK wrote:FIA has said that the Halo is not the final solution. It was the best solution at the time for implementation. One cannot wait for a perfect solution for safety. The Halo has proved it worth.

I will not be surprise that the solution in Indycar will become the norm in the future. Engineers will always want to fine a better solution than their current one if they are give the opportunity, i.e. time and money.
The Indycar solution was available when F1 introduced the halo. But for some reason it wasn't chosen despite actually helping with items flying into the cockpit.

Auspuff, either way, my point stands, the FIA has refused to explain why the change in time occurred.

Orso, Grosjean won't be fined for not replacing the steering wheel. Replacing the steering wheel is necessary for the marshals to move the car which is why its part of the rules. Any fines are essentially given for being a dick and making the marshals job more difficult.

MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by MoFo »

stubeck wrote:The Indycar solution was available when F1 introduced the halo. But for some reason it wasn't chosen despite actually helping with items flying into the cockpit.
To be fair, at the time lots of people were complaining about the aeroscreen, too, since it wouldn't work in the rain or with marbles/clag and/or would require Le Mans style tear-off strips.

As for extraction times... The fire suits now protect for twice as long. That may well be part of it.
Je ne regrette rien.

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Post by CK »

I remember the screen being tested after the halo and drivers (Kimi is probably one of them) complained about visual distortion. When I see that on Indycar, I was wondering if they have solved the distortion issue.
C K
Canada

MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by MoFo »

Some really cool video links:

The full Grosjean interview from Sky. For all the complaints that modern drivers are just robots parroting the corporate line, I was shocked by how intimate this is. https://youtu.be/Xg9lb5rMVbA

Jolyon Palmer's analysis (some interesting comments about the extraction tests):
https://youtu.be/EyTeDaiUL6s

CG Analysis of the impact:
https://youtu.be/AAeQHfwtr5s

And Autosport's coverage, showing how that impact translated to the actual chassis:
https://youtu.be/gxWXG0cxXPs
Je ne regrette rien.