2021 F1 looks (yikes!)

Area to upload images, movies, etc. of real world F1 cars.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Re: 2021 F1 looks (yikes!)

Post by stubeck »

I think that’s a bit unfair, they realized the 2017 USGP entrance was widely disliked and Didn’t repeat it. Also, Liberty isn’t setting these rules, it’s the FIA with Todd and Brawn taking charge. Regarding cars all looking the same, I’ve been hearing that the entire time I’ve watched F1. This is just a concept either way.

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Post by vekkuli »

Strange rear Wing Endplates. The Consept reminds Me somehow of F189 and F190, I could live with that :) .

Tiffoc
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: FERRARI...
Great Britain

Post by Tiffoc »

stubeck wrote:I think that’s a bit unfair, they realized the 2017 USGP entrance was widely disliked and Didn’t repeat it. Also, Liberty isn’t setting these rules, it’s the FIA with Todd and Brawn taking charge. Regarding cars all looking the same, I’ve been hearing that the entire time I’ve watched F1. This is just a concept either way.

I'm not speaking of just the 2021 car, I'm speaking of all the new breed of F1 car...
Of the ones racing at the moment. If it wasn't for the fact they are of different
liveries to the average spectator watching F1 on TV, or at the track, they'd swear
they were all the same car painted different colours, we're different, as modellers
we know and can spot the differences... Also, regardless of what one thinks F1 is
losing it's European identity. I did not say Liberty set the rules and never have...
BUT... I bet you £ pound sterling to an $ US dollar that they have their say as well.

I make no apologies for MY opinion...
I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting, even when there's only a slightest chance.
Michael Schumacher

Corpsegrinder
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: McLaren
Italy

Post by Corpsegrinder »

Hopeless garbage. Nothing to save there.
"In my days, the drivers used to go out after a race and chase girls. These days, they thank Vodafone" - Sir Stirling Moss

jmpsebring
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by jmpsebring »

The Mclaren image is the first time in many years I've actually thought the cars were attractive. If they all looked exactly like that and sounded the same, then I would be less happy. Bigger wheels mean bigger brakes and that means new model parts to play with.
Looking back, I don't think I've bought any F1 model newer than the FW14b. Been a long time.

jmpsebring
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by jmpsebring »

This American agrees with every one of your comments. Though....I do like cheerleaders. Over ten years of no NASCAR for me. Just don't like the lack of innovation or series where the drivers are promoted more than the cars.

Tiffoc
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: FERRARI...
Great Britain

Post by Tiffoc »

jmpsebring wrote:This American agrees with every one of your comments. Though....I do like cheerleaders. Over ten years of no NASCAR for me. Just don't like the lack of innovation or series where the drivers are promoted more than the cars.
I much prefer the F1 Pit girls jmsebring, but I have no objection to the Hurst Golden Shifter girls... I loved Linda Vaughan... :mrgreen:
Totally agree with your comment over the drivers being more promoted than the cars...
linda vaughn hurst lug nuts..jpg
Linda's in the middle...
The legendary Hurst Girls..jpg
I've always believed that you should never, ever give up and you should always keep fighting, even when there's only a slightest chance.
Michael Schumacher

CK
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Post by CK »

It is inevitable that race cars are all looking like each other. This is the case in F1 or the LeMans Prototype series.

As long as there are general rules for car design, the final designs will get very close to each other. The reason is that the engineering knowledge of car designs have advanced so much that all people in the industry knows all the tricks. The variation is in the overall design philosophy, like the different approach by Ferrari and Mercedes this year.

I like the return of the ground effect. In the 90's, the CART series ran with a similar concept with a defined and restricted ground effect. Those cars could run much closer. The current IRL is a single car design series while the CART in the past was like F1. Hence we had Lola, Reynard, Swift, Penske, March, Dallara, and AAR chassis suppliers in the CART series in the past.
C K
Canada

dion9146
Spectator
Spectator

Post by dion9146 »

I like the look of the new car, and if they are more competitive and some of the mid pack cars can move up, I’m all for it. Say what you will about Indy car, but the races are fun to watch.

And in regards to the halo, I used to race SCCA Formula Vee and have been hit in the helmet by car parts while at speed on track. I consider myself lucky and wished I would have had a bit more protection at the time.....

Dion

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Hi all

Wasn't so sure about the visual appearance of this machine. At first glance it screamed "Hot Wheels" toy, but now I'm beginning to like it. At least the wheelbase on this conceptual car looks far better than the current crop of far-too-long F-1 machines.

Not overly impressed with the V-shaped front wing, it looks destined to disappear under the front wheels at the slightest touch. Also not sure about how the bargeboard planes will behave when located underneath the sidepod intakes. The fragile looking winglets above the front wheels look like an afterthought.

I suspect what we see here and what we actually get in 2021 could be two entirely different concepts.

Let's see...

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz.