Comprehensive Lotus 49C walkaround

Area to upload images, movies, etc. of real world F1 cars.

Topic author
MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Comprehensive Lotus 49C walkaround

Post by MoFo »

Just stumbled across this 7-part, detailed walkaround of a 49C from the International Motor Racing Research Center in Watkins Glen. You don't seem to get detailed galleries of car subjects too often (wonder why; it's pretty standard for aircraft modellers), so I figured I'd pass it along:

http://www.primeportal.net/civ_cars.htm

Should be useful if/when the Ebbro kit comes out.
Je ne regrette rien.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Re: Comprehensive Lotus 49C walkaround

Post by stubeck »

Thanks! I just went there for the first time, its a crazy good resource. They'll be building a bigger building at some point soon too which is nice.

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Post by lezdep »

Thanks for a pointer. Gotta visit this place next time I am there for a track event.

indycals
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Indycals
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus
United States of America

Post by indycals »

Sweet!

When I worked for Artemis Images we had a vast motorsports archive and one of the gems was film footage of a walk around of the Lotus 49 at Watkins Glen 1967 - my thought was "this guy is filming this like a model builder". We also had footage of Jim Clark going by the flag man the last two laps - right rear suspension in a state of full collapse! Sadly the archive is now in private hands and to make it worse, the person who has it probably doesn't know what they are sitting on :(

flashman
Backmarker
Backmarker
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Tyrrell
United States of America

Post by flashman »

MoFo, you are a prince for sharing that link with us! :mrgreen:

Looks almost as if Rindt's Monaco '70 winner was preserved as it was after the race (except for cleaning the race grime off). Except I believe that car was used in some later races. But still easy to think it's right off the track after that race.

Thanks much!

Cameron

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Great source for references, thank you very much! :D
Take a stand!

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

Wicked! However, for some strange reason I already have those cockpit images in my references folder. Don't
ask how they got there. I honestly don't remember, but still. I would love to see more of this for other cars. If
only for trying to understand how these cars were built back in the day.
When I get the chance to see one of my heros (in car form), I snap away at whatever draws my attention. And
it always amazes how flimsy and dare-I-say-it shoddy the build quality at times was. That is compared to some
of the factory built super clean cars of today that somehow look like they've come of a regular production line
but for race cars somewhere.

Thanks for sharing!
Cheers,
Roman

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

This car isn't currently on display, so that's likely why you had it. They switch up the cars somewhat regularly on display, right now they have the first car to lead laps at the original street circuit.

smirkoff
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by smirkoff »

Great! It's 49 R6, Monaco's 1970 winning car (and Mexico '68 and USA '69). If I'm not wrong, it's also the last 49 raced by team Lotus, by Wilson Fittipaldi in a test race for the Argentinian GP in Buenos Aires, January 1971. Michael Oliver tells in his book that after the race this car was freighted in a cargo plane to Sao Paulo in a non-official Fittipaldi "mission". In the following day, January 25th, a holiday in Sao Paulo, Emerson took the car to Interlagos. With three Lotus mechanics he lowered the car to the maximum possible and did some laps around the external loop of the old circuit, to break the record of the track. He managed it, but the bottom of the car was very damaged by the Interlagos bumps, which drove Chapman mad when the car came back to the team Lotus base. It was the first time a modern F1 car ran in Interlagos, and I think the first time Emerson ran a single seater in an "oval" track.

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

Stubeck,

might be, however, I've only had the cockpit shots, exact same pics, but the whole undercarriage, suspension
etc. stuff is new to me. So I've spent some time yesterday evening to grab all those pictures I was missing. The
cockpit shots I have had for at least a year, since back then I was emailing back and forth with Brian Fawcett /
UK regarding the '49 upgrade kit he was working on at the time - or rather was trying to gather references and
information for.

Anyway, glad the link got posted for it added nicely to the '49 reference collection.
Cheers,
Roman