JS11/15 at 1/12 How come no one did before? Now with POLL!!!

About making you own...

WHAT's YOUR FAVORITE LIGIER JS11 LOOK?

-The good old Tamiya look, naked DFV, flat sidepods, Bugatti style fuel cell cover, chrome rims, bulky nose...
20%
-The early 1980 style, Pironi Zolder win. Flatter nose, slanted sidepods, discrete flip ups, still Bugatti cover, covered DFV, Black 13 inch whees.
34%
-The badass looking late 1980 car. Smoothened low fuel cell cover, huge rear wheel flip ups, chrome 15 inch front rims...
46%

Total votes: 56

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Re: JS11/15 at 1/12 How come no one did before?

Post by SBEST »

I second the suspension request. For, me I would like the replacement suspension for both front/rear to utilize the wheel set from Derek.

That me thinking/surmising. I realize it's a work effort.

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

tubegenius wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:56 am James, you are a runaway train these days 8) At this rate, you are going to drive up the cost of the Heller kit, by making it more desirable :roll: I predict you won't be stopping here. Any plans for improving the attachment of the front suspension lower arms? That is the Achilles heel of this kit. (Well, one of them anyway). Keep up the good work :wink:
Yes, though as we say here, "arrancada de bou, parada de burro" :lol: I get stuck as easy as I start! :mrgreen:
OK, for you and...
SBEST wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:46 am I second the suspension request. For, me I would like the replacement suspension for both front/rear to utilize the wheel set from Derek.
That me thinking/surmising. I realize it's a work effort.
Yes, the system that Heller uses is soooo ridiculous that seems to be asking for a solution... screaming! :shock:
Well it's worth thinking, though it has its problems:
-Resin, my usual stuff is fragile for these. I srely could do it with an inside metal rod, but I fear it' d be a PITA to cast.
So, idea just as I write...
What about a quite robust wishbone with the adequate shape, done with Photo etch, brass, with 1mm thickness?
It' d be spot on for the front leg, and yes the rear one (the less visible on the other hand) would have square cross section instead of the accurate round one.
But the part would have correct attaching points that would solidly penetrate holes made ny user on the chassis. And I dont think it'd be expensive. What you think? :D
I am also making front brakes and full suspension (I think it is on another thread) nothing too sophisticated, but...

Dede
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Dede
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: ....
Ireland

Post by Dede »

Very interesting where you are taking this kit James, I like it so far and Great work to be done!
Dede.

GF-F1
Team Owner
Team Owner
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ligier
France

Post by GF-F1 »

Excellent and interesting work James

Cheers

Franck
www.gf-models.eu

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Thanks mates! :D but please, don't shy up and get verbal about the PE wishbone idea :wink:

I'll tell you what's gonna happen now. I'm gonna try to make a "decently built" JS11/15, Zolder version.
I'll use my engine cover, my wheels, and will look what's the result without changing much. I know people abhorre this kit but love the subject. So the thing is: not fully accurate, let's see if we obtain a decent looking car for those thinking "not a great kit, it does not deserve much effort but I prefer the 1980 look" :D
BTW, to clear the veracity of last sentence, I'll put a poll on the first post of thread, if I can. Please check
BR
James

tubegenius
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Re: JS11/15 at 1/12 How come no one did before? Now with POLL!!!

Post by tubegenius »

I'd be very happy with your current engine cover and 13" tires and wheels, which I will paint black. :D But you knew that already. :lol: Option 1 1/2?

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

tubegenius wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:22 pm :lol: Option 1 1/2?
I suppose so!! :D :lol:

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

No fair making us pick just one JB!!!! I have three or four of these kits so I need options...... :) :) :)
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

No worries Derek: no need to commit JUST with one!! :lol: :lol:
We surely have care enough for all of them. :D
Just trying to see if there's specially, a significant bias favoring the '80 versions.
Anyway, the plan is making first the early 80 stuff and then most probably dare to make the late one. 8) And that, regardless the poll result :wink:
Me, I have three of them. Not sure if making three JS11/15 or devoting one of them to make a JS17
Thanks for the votes, mates!
BR
James

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Here I go again!
Now I look the former pictures it might not seem a lot, but the good thing is that the damn part is finished!
Now I am gonna make the mold and cast it.
I tried to straighten it a bit but the adventure with hot water went nuts.
NEVER TRY TO CORRECT POLYSTYRENE PARTS WITH HOT WATER!!!!! :o :o |
The residual stresses due to poly flowing thru the molds when it was cast (even 45 years ago) will take their toll and fibers (polystyrene polimerises in long fibers) pull here and there, so the dforming you'll get is any thing but what you expected!!
So, after correcting, etc, the final part is there. I cut off the undercuts for the brake intakes, and also the small vertical fins, as these were replaced (or covered) in 1980 with taller, bigger vertical plates.
I made the sidepod panels and the mentioned small walls with cardboard, here the pics.

Yes, yes. I know it's not fully accurate as the cut for the engine cover should match the rear end of chassis, and not the half of the cossie, but I just wanted something a not-too-obsessed modeler will want to make a Heller JS11 look as a JS11/15 without much surgery.
For sidepod pannels I would provide the template (and even 1mm plastic if you don't have it handy nearby) though you could even use the original Heller part by cutting it off a bit.
Opinions welcome :D
BR James
Last edited by JamesB on Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:25 am, edited 2 times in total.