JS11/15 at 1/12 How come no one did before? Now with POLL!!!

About making you own...

WHAT's YOUR FAVORITE LIGIER JS11 LOOK?

-The good old Tamiya look, naked DFV, flat sidepods, Bugatti style fuel cell cover, chrome rims, bulky nose...
20%
-The early 1980 style, Pironi Zolder win. Flatter nose, slanted sidepods, discrete flip ups, still Bugatti cover, covered DFV, Black 13 inch whees.
34%
-The badass looking late 1980 car. Smoothened low fuel cell cover, huge rear wheel flip ups, chrome 15 inch front rims...
46%

Total votes: 56

tubegenius
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Re: JS11/15 at 1/12 How come no one did before? Now with POLL!!!

Post by tubegenius »

Thanks for the update James. Now I don't have to send you another nagging PM. :lol: :lol:

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

tubegenius wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:37 pm Thanks for the update James. Now I don't have to send you another nagging PM. :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: good, Bill! in fact I was going to send you one. Wheels are ready, so it's just this big old lazy cat making the mold for the cover, and there we go! :mrgreen:

tubegenius
World Champion
World Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Post by tubegenius »

Let's complicate this further. :roll: While fiddling around with my kit today, and reaffirming my opinion that curbside is the way to go, I discovered that certain older Tamiya 1/12 driver figures can fit nicely in the cockpit. This would cover up some more of the mediocrity of the kit. All I would need is a reasonably accurate helmet, and some decals for Pironi. The helmet wouldn't necessarily need to have a face, as I see many pics of him with a darkened black-ish visor. Does anyone make such a helmet, with Pironi decals for it? Possibly a few decals to put on the driving suit?

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

:D Nooo! this does not complicate it at all!
It´s all already available.
But please, not THAT figure!!! :roll: you surely mean that terrible figure included in the Ferrari 312 B :cry: Not good, really. I have a suitable driver figure since ages ago. And surely an accurate gpa helmet, though I am reworking it now to make it even better. Decals, I have since long ago 8)
I´ll try to post pics when I have the time...

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Here we go lads! :D
That´s my old figure, thought for cars with a wing car style position. It fits from Wolf to MP4/6... including of course the JS11...
It fits reasonably well. I might re-do gloves as the ones the Ligier boys wore were more "cavalry" stile, longer...

BTW... where are the feet?? :? ah, don´t worry, it´s not La-Feet, it´s Pironi :lol: :lol:

Soeey, I had to make the joke!! :lol: :lol: there are sepparate feet available.

And that´s how it looks inside the cockpit...

And after some paint and decals....

Just kiddin you, it´s good old LaFeet sitting inside, at Zolder. But for poorly drained brakes he could have well won, and have a shot at the championship...
BR
James
Last edited by JamesB on Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Fast note guys :D
https://i.postimg.cc/Pq8yvpyr/961-D8-A4-B-59-EF-49-C3-B1-A9-506-C3-EC82344.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc/dQ9BCK2d/F593-CE14-9-B4-C-475-B-87-D4-5-FCEE66-FA0-B3.jpg
Yes part is ready. More mechanical parts and hopefully soon their resin version at the 3D thread... 8)
BR
James

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Well, the story of my struggles with this part is probably worth telling.
As you saw, I made the part quite fast. I primed and all and the result was nice, but then... :roll: :cry:
first crappy moment.
I see the horizontal parts are a bit V shaped, so I do that thing that I have advised countless people NOT TO DO! :lol: dip it in hot water. Imagine the effect on a multi layer multi material part, with resin, two types of plastic, two of putty... let alone the already tendency of polystyrene to "remember" how it was injected in the mould.. it shrinked here and there etc. But that took me to eliminate the small rear fins, and honestly the part is more usable like that.
second crap... I make the mold and the silicone did not work. fast told, **** of mold, part that struggles to be removed from it.
third chapter. I took a catalisator that supposedly worked, but did not. :lol:
24 hours later, 500g of non cured silicone. I managed to recover it. Buut.. as silicone is quite hard to remove from anything, I put apart the part. But ended up stepping on it. Great mess, silicone everywhere, and a partly broken composite part... with silicone inside the cracks and gaps, so not really glue friendly.
I tested a new putty, supposedly as good as green squadron stuff. Nuts!! it only has the color. Again breaking, etc.
Finally I managed to put the part together again, tested the silicone before, just in case, and FINALLY... I obtained a good mold with good parts coming from it! Aaaarghh!! :lol:

OK, I think I´ll offer, at least, Front and rear wheels (Nice 15 inch badass fronts), front brakes, front rockers, rear rockers, rear transverse plates, rear brakes and uprights, intakes... all that to make the JS11-15.
I might also offer the rear cover for the late season car (the one without the Bugatti style fuel cell cover) but that would also imply replacing all the cockpit fairing... :roll: I dont really know. Thoughts? :wink:

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

I will take one or maybe two of what ever you make for this car. I have a number of them in the stash. Can't hurt to have options!!! :D :D
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Thanks Derek! :D
BTW, in order to make it look at late season car, do you think it´d be that terrible to have to cut cockpit part in two to add the rear part? :roll: :wink:

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

JamesB wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:28 am Thanks Derek! :D
BTW, in order to make it look at late season car, do you think it´d be that terrible to have to cut cockpit part in two to add the rear part? :roll: :wink:
No, as long as there are a clear set of instructions to follow.. :D
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports