Post by gp-models »

Thank you guys! :)
I forgot to add that the Setup wheels fit to the following Mclaren models:

MP 4/4
MP 4/5
MP 4/5b
MP 4/6
MP 4/7

I mainly designed them for the Tamiya kits, but i guess they also fit the Fujimi kits in 1:20, or even Tamiya and MFH in 1:12.
Set up wheels for Tamiya 1:12 Ferrari 641/2 will follow next, also in 1:20.
Take a stand!

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Re: 1:12 F1 replacement tires and Set up wheels for Tamiya

Post by Icon_Modeler »

Just a question because you say that these fit so many cars. You do understand that for these to be accurate (like the real thing) these wheels need to align to one another from front to back??

That is the reason for the offset of the front wheel and the rear wheel being flat. It is so that the surfaces of both wheels are in the same vertical plane when installed on the car.

This would mean that the track width of all the models said to fit these wheels would need to be exactly the same width. I would say there is a good chance this is the case with all Tamiya models as Tamiya used wheels that are all the same dimension to go with the tires of all the same dimension. My experience with Fujimi on the other hand is that their tires are like snowflakes and are all different dimensions. Therefore I have my doubts that these wheels could be used on Fujimi kits and actually end up "looking" as they should, in perfect alignment.

One more observation. I have made these alignment wheels for the 1/12th Tamiya models and there is no way you can copy an alignment wheel made for a 1/20th model scale it up and have it fit as described above on a 1/12th model. The track width of the 1/20 model and the 1/12th model will not allow the wheels to align as they should.
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

The design of the wheels is on the cars i listed the same, and to be honest, i made no rocket sience about this in case of wheel base, just know how they work in reality but do i want to measure my wheelbase or angle on the front on a model? No. ;)
I´M not sure about the Fujimi kits, maybe there is some changing needed like hole diameter, but it can`t be too far away. Even on Tamiya you have to work with a spacer underneeth the car, otherwise the suspension is going to it`s knees which is soft like you might know. The overall look is fine to me when i look at my references and they fit to the kits i have in stash, that`s finaly good enough to me. Oh, and i did not went for an upscaled 1:20 version, first i made the 1:12, and yes, the 1:20 is slightly different to the 12th version.
Take a stand!

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

gp-models wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:41 pm The 1:20 version is tested and will be a nice feature in a diorama scene. I had none Mclaren model so i used F189 from Tamiya which i did many years ago.

I also created some tools to sand the wheels, they are working nice and remove the pins from supports easy.
I always thought that Mansell drove with his head under his arm, but never actually saw it proven till now. :lol:

Great work, though
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

gp-models wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:31 pm The design of the wheels is on the cars i listed the same, and to be honest, i made no rocket sience about this in case of wheel base, just know how they work in reality but do i want to measure my wheelbase or angle on the front on a model? No. ;)
I´M not sure about the Fujimi kits, maybe there is some changing needed like hole diameter, but it can`t be too far away. Even on Tamiya you have to work with a spacer underneeth the car, otherwise the suspension is going to it`s knees which is soft like you might know. The overall look is fine to me when i look at my references and they fit to the kits i have in stash, that`s finaly good enough to me. Oh, and i did not went for an upscaled 1:20 version, first i made the 1:12, and yes, the 1:20 is slightly different to the 12th version.
Never mind, you are not talking about the same things I am so we are not on the same page. Good luck with your sales!!
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

BMW wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:00 pm
gp-models wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:41 pm The 1:20 version is tested and will be a nice feature in a diorama scene. I had none Mclaren model so i used F189 from Tamiya which i did many years ago.

I also created some tools to sand the wheels, they are working nice and remove the pins from supports easy.
I always thought that Mansell drove with his head under his arm, but never actually saw it proven till now. :lol:

Great work, though
:lol:
It`s Berger`s car, but indeed, looks strange without head. :D

@Derek: Well, please read carefully what i have written! They are designed to fit Tamiya kits, especially for the 1:12 Mclaren, never intended to do them for Fujimi, but i guess they fit their models also, maybe with some changes . I think your judgement is about 2 pictures which are taken in an angle where you can`t see that they allign well, maybe 2mm overall difference in between which can be sanded away easily to make them 100000% alligned, nothing to worry about cause this is also modeling. ;)
Even if they don`t fit in the first on a Fujimi kit, it would be no problem to do some changes on the CAD files to make them fit, or even by hand, it might be possible they don`t fit cause of their size, but i can change this easily if needed. So far no one has asked for a Fujimi set, nothing to worry about ;)
Take a stand!

AJP01
Minor Constructor
Minor Constructor

Post by AJP01 »

Modelers (Japan) used to do a set of these wheels for 1/20 in white metal, and I used a set for the garage diorama built for my F1-2000. The Modelers wheels were slightly undersize in diameter so I had to increase the diameter slightly to match the F1-2000 wheel/tire diameter. This way the car could sit at the correct ride height.
On base setup wheels 1 sm.jpg
Icon is right about most every team and car design having some unique setup wheels. They changed them all the time, some in metal, some in carbon fiber, etc. I'm quite sure these ones I used for the F1-2000 are not absolutely correct, but I built this kit back in 2005 when options were limited and I liked the way they looked in spirit.

My compliments to you gp-models for your craftmanship in creating these setup wheels. It's a great job you've done here.

AJ

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Thank you AJ, the Diorama is looking nice! :)
Well about the design i only can repeat myself as the design was used on the cars i listed, still have the references here ;)
Overall i have references of about 19 different cars, and yes, each team is doing it their own way and sometimes every year, but in case of Mclaren the Design did not change from 88 to 92, they showed up in 93 with a different design, a combination between carbon and metal with a different look. So far this have been one reason why i started with this ones, the Ferrari wheels which i will do only have been used in this single year, no other option on these.
Take a stand!

Topic author
gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Have to edit this cause when i was looking at my references i found a different picture of the Set up wheels which have been used in 2000, seems like the japanese guy made it`s "own" version of these wheels!
Unfortunately i can`t find a picture from the rear ones, otherwise i could do them too, still have a Tamiya kit with Top Studio super detail set for this car in my stash. Maybe some of you guys can help and provide a picture from the rear wheels, still hope so!
Here is the original Design which was used back in the days
link does not work, so here another try

https://www.motorsportimages.com/photo/ ... d=223&p=14
Take a stand!