Backmarker
Backmarker
Your Name: Tyrone
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: James Hunt
Great Britain

1/12 M23 Windshield / Windscreen.

Post by Tyrone »

Hey,

Currently working on a 1974 -> 1976 conversion of the 1/12 Tamiya Kit.

I was wondering if anybody has a Template or something for the right shape to cut out the windshield? It seems all of the vac-formed parts sold out years ago!

Progress Pics https://i.imgur.com/cR8xWqA.png

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Re: 1/12 M23 Windshield / Windscreen.

Post by daniel »

Are you looking for a new screen or just a vacuformed screen ?

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details

Topic author
Tyrone
Backmarker
Backmarker
Great Britain

Post by Tyrone »

daniel wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:46 am Are you looking for a new screen or just a vacuformed screen ?
The 1976 windscreen needs to be slightly longer than the one that came in the Tamiya kit - so at the moment I don't have a solution at all.

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Post by daniel »

If it only needs to be longer I would form one myself. Did it for the Ra273 and it works pretty good and it's much thinner than the kit part. As you can see in the pictures it's actual pretty easy. Only problem with my method is you need to fix it with some rivets. Mybe a littel more heat when placing over the original screen could help....but not for me :)
So here goes
1. Source some thin clear sheet....packing material is good.
2. Take a template from your original screen...with some tape
3. roughly cut it out...make it longer as you need it.
4. Tape over orignal screen add some heat any hope it will soften the clear sheet and make conform to the orignal screen...well didn't work for me :) cut it out...exactly !
(I ende with a 2D/flat screen that used some force to conform to the monocoque)
5. Now tape it to your monocoque. Can be a little frustrating because it will snap back to it's original position. Once taped down. drill through the screen and monocoque for your rivets.
6. Hope that the real car used rivets to attach the screen ;)

Hope it makes sense....guess it's time for a youtube/tutorial channel ;)

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details

cevert
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by cevert »

Try using a template from this page. You need to adjust the size to your scale. It solved the same problem for me a long time ago.
https://stampapapercraft.blogspot.com/s ... n+M23+1976
cevert

Dede
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Dede
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: ....
Ireland

Post by Dede »

if you haven't already, you could contact Model Factory Hiro, They released the EJAN 1/12 M23 1976 Trans kit, the kit contains a vac formed tinted yellow windshield, they might have some spare.
Dede.

Topic author
Tyrone
Backmarker
Backmarker
Great Britain

Post by Tyrone »

daniel wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:14 am If it only needs to be longer I would form one myself. Did it for the Ra273 and it works pretty good and it's much thinner than the kit part. As you can see in the pictures it's actual pretty easy. Only problem with my method is you need to fix it with some rivets. Mybe a littel more heat when placing over the original screen could help....but not for me :)
So here goes
1. Source some thin clear sheet....packing material is good.
2. Take a template from your original screen...with some tape
3. roughly cut it out...make it longer as you need it.
4. Tape over orignal screen add some heat any hope it will soften the clear sheet and make conform to the orignal screen...well didn't work for me :) cut it out...exactly !
(I ende with a 2D/flat screen that used some force to conform to the monocoque)
5. Now tape it to your monocoque. Can be a little frustrating because it will snap back to it's original position. Once taped down. drill through the screen and monocoque for your rivets.
6. Hope that the real car used rivets to attach the screen ;)

Hope it makes sense....guess it's time for a youtube/tutorial channel ;)

Thanks for this, this is the method I have used. About 15 trials to get the right shape as the 74 -> 76 screen is a slightly different shape, I also melted a few 'correct' templates with too much heat, so I've been super gentle with the heat, and a found that 9 brass pins, super-glued into place from the back will hold the screen in shape. Thanks to Andrew on Facebook for the tip with the pins. He's doing the same 74 -> 76 conversion of the M23.

https://i.imgur.com/erbFMRx.png if anybody finds this via google or something in the future - here is the template I made, units are in centimetres.

Hacksaw
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by Hacksaw »

Your conversion of the M23 is looking good Tyrone, the following links should take you to some reference material for the 1976 M23 that includes variations in the windshield between the two drivers as the season progressed:
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=15855
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=15854
Regards,
Hacksaw

Topic author
Tyrone
Backmarker
Backmarker
Great Britain

Post by Tyrone »

Hacksaw wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:20 am Your conversion of the M23 is looking good Tyrone, the following links should take you to some reference material for the 1976 M23 that includes variations in the windshield between the two drivers as the season progressed:
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=15855
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=15854
Regards,
Hacksaw
Wow thanks for these posts, not all of the images work as they're 10 years old, but the ones that do are super!

I might toy with the idea of adding that little round extension in a clear plastic as the additional detail may distract from a slightly incorrect curvature of my self made main cowling shape.

I've been using the haynes M23 manual as well as some other images I've found online, and the 3D model from Forza Motorsport 7, but these historical images and detailed descriptions are way better than anything I've found so thanks again.