About making you own...

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Re: Are 3D printing clubs the future?

Post by stubeck »

We've tried creating new sections in the past for different options and it doesn't get used much and just adds to the list of sub forums. Start creating threads and once it gets to be too much in that thread, then a section can be created.

PeteJ
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Your Name: Pete Johnson
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus Jim Clark
United States of America

Post by PeteJ »

They may be but I doubt that model builders will ever abandoned kits to do 3D printing. Most model builders will not want to go to the effort of learning the code, how to do layout and spend the money on equipment. Heck, look at how many have metal machining tools. On this forum I can only think of two or three including me. Yes, 3d printing is amazing but most just want to build a kit for the shelf, not devote the time it would take to learn 3d printing. I would bet that even the majority of the top competitive builders want to do that.

Icon_Modeler
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda, Ronnie Peterson. Only the greats, non of the wankers of today!!
United States of America

Post by Icon_Modeler »

stubeck wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:32 am We've tried creating new sections in the past for different options and it doesn't get used much and just adds to the list of sub forums. Start creating threads and once it gets to be too much in that thread, then a section can be created.
So how many does it take to get this going? I count 4 threads on 3D printing going right now on the three pages that make up the "recent topics" of this forum and I know there are countless others going on at this time that just may not have had a post in them for a week or so and have fallen off of the three front pages. I think a 3D modeling sub section is long overdue. There are more people on here using 3D printers then there are build models in the WIP section of the forum.........
Icon Modeler____________________Modeling The Icons Of Motorsports

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

More than 4 :)

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Post by SBEST »

PeteJ wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:04 pm They may be but I doubt that model builders will ever abandoned kits to do 3D printing. Most model builders will not want to go to the effort of learning the code, how to do layout and spend the money on equipment. Heck, look at how many have metal machining tools. On this forum I can only think of two or three including me. Yes, 3d printing is amazing but most just want to build a kit for the shelf, not devote the time it would take to learn 3d printing. I would bet that even the majority of the top competitive builders want to do that.
I agree. I am more interested in paying someone for 3d parts to enhance a kit. For example, I have the B193 3d parts for the B192.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Icon_Modeler wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:18 pm
stubeck wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:32 am We've tried creating new sections in the past for different options and it doesn't get used much and just adds to the list of sub forums. Start creating threads and once it gets to be too much in that thread, then a section can be created.
So how many does it take to get this going? I count 4 threads on 3D printing going right now on the three pages that make up the "recent topics" of this forum and I know there are countless others going on at this time that just may not have had a post in them for a week or so and have fallen off of the three front pages. I think a 3D modeling sub section is long overdue. There are more people on here using 3D printers then there are build models in the WIP section of the forum.........
So when i look at the 2016 Group build section with amazing 9 Threads going on after 5 years, it should take not much to get there.

"Only" 4 threads in the ongoing threads sounds a bit odd in comparsion to the range off "discussion threads", and i agree also to the lack of WIP`s around. The 3D printing theme will become more and more attention as technology is growing fast, in the future it will be envolved in many sections of modeling. Other model forums are not sleeping and have a special section for it for a longer time and it is still running well.
I would like to see such section without searching to other sections in hope to find something, simply a space where people can share their experience, Data (if willing to do so), and their results.
The price for a 3D printer is absolutely not that high, everyone wo is able to buy a MFH 1:12 kit is able to buy this equipment too, even for much less money! I agree that creating Datas is not simple, but i`ve seen a lot people here who are able to work with CAD systems, the prepairing for the print (slicing) is realy simple, even for me who is not a computer nerd.
Take a stand!

capri-schorsch
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Christian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Carlos Sainz
Jamaica

Post by capri-schorsch »

stubeck wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:09 amMore than 4 :)
Now we have 5 i think. :wink: :wink:
Resin Kits and Parts for Sale
Porsche 962 in 1/8 Scale IMSA & Shorttail New!

http://mezzo-mix-models.jimdo.com

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

It's up to Eric what to do anyway, I'm just putting my two cents in. It could get lots of use (I'm about to finish setting up my 3D printer this weekend so I understand its use) or it could be like the Lotus 79 Forum multiple people insisted they needed and then was barely used. I personally don't see a giant need for it based on current use, as just getting people to use the currently existing sub-forums properly is difficult, but I could be completely wrong.

MoFo
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman

Post by MoFo »

I don't know that we really need one. I'm a fan of fewer sections, personally. I'm all for all the 3D printing content we can get, I just don't know that a specific section will add much to the forum.
Last edited by MoFo on Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Je ne regrette rien.

Topic author
donnieleblanc
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by donnieleblanc »

[/quote]

I agree. I am more interested in paying someone for 3d parts to enhance a kit. For example, I have the B193 3d parts for the B192.
[/quote]

That was sort of why I wanted to get into 3D printing. I currently don't have the CAD skills to design complex body shapes, so unless someone was willing to share or sell a file of a kit they have designed, I'm not in that "market." However, I found I was able to design simple parts for the MP4/8 (MFH and Tamiya) and simple generic parts like electrical connectors, fittings, etc. using free web-based design tools. I was even able to design new active suspension parts for the 4/8, which initially looked complex but actually wasn't too difficult to design. I'm going to start my first test prints of the parts I designed later today or tomorrow to see how it turns out.

I agree that augmenting existing kit with 3D parts is a niche in by itself. For example, I was looking in my collection and noticed I had about 10 of the old Revell CART kits from the late '90s that I hadn't built or started and abandoned. I started designing parts (engine, gear box and suspension) to supplement the base kit. I still have quite a bit of work to do, but I think I can come up with parts to "un-curbside" the kit a bit. Since I have so many of those kits laying around, it makes sense from an economies of scale standpoint to design parts for this kit.