Are 3D printing clubs the future?

About making you own...

Topic author
donnieleblanc
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Are 3D printing clubs the future?

Post by donnieleblanc »

I’ll preface this post with I decided to take the plunge into 3D printing. I know this may sound silly, but the reason I am is because I decided it was easier to design & print replacement parts for my MFH MP4/7 and MP4/8 than to make photo etched parts or try to machine parts. I’m going EGLOO Mars Pro for my machine and designing parts with a few different programs/slicers. I’ll see what works best, but so far, design efforts seem promising.

The interesting thing that occurred to me is I’ll be designing parts for 3 models. After that, I will really have no use for the designs and given MFH doesn’t mass produce, that’s probably the end of it. However, I then realized I could (attempt to) design parts for Tamiya MP4/8 front suspension. From there, the ideas started flowing. I thought about the non-existent B192 front suspension, Jordan191 add-ons, etc. The difference with these ideas and the MFH ideas are the Tamiya kits were produced in mass and lots of us have them stashed away. I’m sure if someone designed accurate parts there would be demand.

My guess is that 3D printing could be at the core of a future business model for our hobby. Designs could be sold to us direct by the big manufacturers for us to print at home. If we want more detail, we pay more. But until then, could a site like F1M become a forum or club for exchanging 3D print designs? I’m sure there are potentially business issues such as licensing and compensation and obviously there would be differences between printers and software. However, speaking solely for myself, I know if I designed a few small parts and someone else wanted them, I’d have no issue sending the design.

This got me thinking...is an F1M 3D printing club something there would be interest in? Is something like that even feasible? Given I’m just getting into 3D printing, I’m just curious what y’all thought.

Take Care,
Donnie

SBEST
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Nelson Piquet
United States of America

Re: Are 3D printing clubs the future?

Post by SBEST »

All, I can say is I would pay for the detail. But I don't see the upside of the manufacturers selling the details.

Kind Regards,

sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

First up, I am surprised you gave up on designing PE. In my opinion it is easier than 3D modelling - why? Because it is 2D only not 3D, so you could do it using any old vector based paint program. The thing, I guess, most would struggle with it also not the etching part. After all it's just a bunch of chemical baths you plonk the parts into. So where is the difficulty then, printing the masks (could and probably should! be done by a regular printing company on transparent sheets anyway). But I digress :)

I think it would be interesting to have a 3D model database to pick the parts you want to do from - if available. But then those are already out there, thingyverse among others. However, most things are sold there as a complete model, individual parts is a relatively rare thing. So one could expand on that. In a way I somehow doubt that big manufacturers will go down that route though, offering their designs as downloads. Why? Because basically you can take a super detailed model and print it on a POS printer from the older days and it looks like this:
148603546_10222035445493504_7791187922850008112_n.jpg
And people start complaining (you know how they are ;))... crap model, crap file bla bla, and it's all due to you having a garbage bin type printer and (probably) not putting any effort in it. With the big model companies models, you will have a ok to good model, if you build it out of the box and not even paint it. With printing it's usually not quite that easy.

All of that aside, I would appreciate having a library for parts like this. I.e battery, starter, radiator for 330 P4, etc. Preferably the parts would be designed in such a way that they are 1:1 interchangable with the kit parts :)
Cheers,
Roman

BMW
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Alfa Romeo
Switzerland

Post by BMW »

Yes, I think it is the future.
I cannot see it replacing any major or even small manufacturers anytime soon, but will just add to the mix.
3D printing is still part-by-part costly, and requires quite a bit of skill and time, both to first make the 3D models, but then later to print the items in good quality. And the time researching the parts also need to be taken into account. So I still see the small detailing shops having a piece to play, as you can just buy a detail kit ready from the shelf.

I was actually thinking of starting a website (like thingiverse) but for modelers only.
Why a seperate site? the thingiverse type site has quantity over quality, and people post low poly blocky non-detailed toys rather than models.
On a modeler specific site, it quickly (hopefully) becomes a community for people to exhange not only models and tricks and tricks.
Things like the mentioned suspension parts wont get lost in the chaff that is blocky elephants and doll houses.
Obviously, there is no economic future it that, as the costs of running the site would outweigh the intake of donations, but it would be a nice thing to have running.

However, 3D printing is still in its infancy for modeling. Even here, we do not seem to be sharing 3D models :)
Currently building:
Alfa Romeo 159 (since 2021)
Recently finished:
Renault R30 (since 2010)

cevert
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by cevert »

I am joining as a future client. I love building models from scratch. I try to do everything myself with simple tools. I make 2D 3D according to my needs (sometimes with the help of an engraver). But it is true that I can't make some parts in my hands and not all that I make can serve as a master for casting the same pieces. It is often necessary to make the right and left of the same part ... and I must say that I was very pleasantly surprised by the willingness of the modellers and especially by the quality of their 3D parts. They are the ones who are not happy with the kit and are proposing improvements for themselves. I believe that these people will continue to provide their products in 3D at reasonable prices. For example, I would like different engine valve heads with better writing or a new logo (round ford, cosworth, BRM ...), a tangle of exhaust pipes, batteries, fire extinguishers and various levers and fittings, brakes, axle bricks, holders, tanks , wheel rims and the like. For example, the throttle system on Tamiya's Ford engines is completely lacking in all scales. Here, at this point, I would see the possibilities for the future development of 3D printing. Likewise, I do not believe that large manufacturers will be interested in the production of special accessories. Only small companies do this, mostly with one modeler, and production to order is expensive and time-consuming. Let's enjoy our hobby! This is google translator, sorry! Cevert

MPK
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ayrton Senna
Finland

Post by MPK »

I’d be happy to join in as a customer.
Matti

Paul_OFarrell
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Your Name: Paul O'Farrell
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Williams
Australia

Post by Paul_OFarrell »

Interesting subject.

While there is room for 3D printing technology to develop far beyond current levels and allow much greater fine detail in items which are 3D printed, I do wonder if there will be one particular 3D printer which will be available worldwide and be capable of producing the amount of detail that we modellers will always demand?

Then there is the question of whether Tamiya for example would be willing to embrace technology and release a file of a kit specifically designed for 3D printing only.

There's all sorts of questions in this can of worms. Issues of copyright and collaboration spring to mind, together with the hope that perhaps even Tamiya could someday develop and release their own 3D printer. Fanciful thoughts perhaps, but it may well end up being the future of our hobby.

Cheers, Paul
Sydney, Oz

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

A list with Data suppliers would be also nice, some stuff is for free download available, and for others you have to pay. It`s a good solution for people who are not able to do CAD works, unfortunately the interesting stuff is not for free.
I don`t see companies like Tamiya doing that cause it is a total different buisness, and what should be a price for such datas? The developement is very time consuming, i do not think that such companies are interested in doing that buisness.
Take a stand!

lezdep
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Senna
Canada

Post by lezdep »

I like the idea of "3D printing club" under F1M umbrella. Why don't we create a 3D printing sub-section under "FORMULA 1 SCALE MODELS" forum section and let people share 3D models, 3D prints, 3D printing knowledge and experiences, 3D printer setups, etc. I know there are probably many other places where those things are already done. But I still think having one dedicated to F1
models would be beneficial for this community.

Shapeways seems to have a nice model, where 3D model creators can allow Shapeways sell prints on their behalf and have Shapeways pay back to creator. I think it's a decent model.

However some members here might just want to share their creations for free. I wouldn't mind sharing something I've created with this community for sure and hope there will be many others.
When primary desire was to enhance your own model and not design for future profit sale, it would not be difficult for designer to share for free. And overtime we could compile a
decent library of those detail parts.

capri-schorsch
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Christian
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Carlos Sainz
Jamaica

Post by capri-schorsch »

Just want to put this on top again.

Is it possible to make a section for 3d printing?
Where all the projects can be shown instead of make a thread in the wip section or in the scratch build section.
Would be easier to find 3d stuff.

Regards Christian
Resin Kits and Parts for Sale
Porsche 962 in 1/8 Scale IMSA & Shorttail New!

http://mezzo-mix-models.jimdo.com