steinietrabi
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: Thomas
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Williams, Ferrari, McLaren... Michael Schumacher
Germany

Re: Aston Martin AMR21 2021

Post by steinietrabi »

Yes, I agree with you, some things are a little rounded, but that is not always necessary for printing.
It is more likely that the parts have to be made a little thicker - rounding is not absolutely necessary.

It's just the model itself. But that was the first model in the series and therefore has a few more shortcomings. But I can try to hide it a little while building. I could make the fin a little thinner in general and make the front upper edge on the rear wing a little more pointed.

What do you mean about the front suspensions?
Greetings Thomas

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Yep. Sharpening the edges will disguise the thicknes (that is, yes, the main thing, thats what I really meant, though the edge shows it) a bit of filing sanding should do
steinietrabi wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:20 am What do you mean about the front suspensions?
Same thing. Edges might be a bit sharper IMHO, though I might be wrong! :D

Topic author
steinietrabi
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Germany

Post by steinietrabi »

JamesB wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:14 am Same thing. Edges might be a bit sharper IMHO, though I might be wrong! :D
https://cdn-6.motorsport.com/images/mgl/68yb5Mx0/s8/aston-martin-amr21-detail-1.jpg https://www.motorsportweek.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/jm2117ap128-Custom.jpg

Well, it's all very round, maybe I wouldn't do it here at all. :D
Greetings Thomas

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

OK!! :lol: I agree.
What would need some thinning is rear wing support. Nevertheless these 3D designs are amazing, they have a lot of work behind and it´s really great to see all that converted to real, touchable parts! :D

Redbox
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Lotus, Williams
Italy

Post by Redbox »

Nice progress! I like the use of liquid resin to fill the gap between parts. Which glue is the best to bond this 3D resin? CA glue?

I purchased last week the MCL from Cults, but this week I see that the price rised!
Too bad now, I was thinking about purchasing the Aston but since I checked the 3D model I see that the details is only average and a lot of details are missing or fantasy... like the real wheels and the wheel but, for example.
The overall look is good but with higher price it is out of range now.
Moreover, the pre-subdivision of parts is a limit for printing in different scale plus the parts have a bad rounded edges so if you wanted to print 2 or more parts together you will find a well visible canyon!

Topic author
steinietrabi
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Germany

Post by steinietrabi »

Yes, it is best to use CA glue, it is simply the best. Resin is really the best way to fill in the gaps, CA glue is also possible, but why invent something new when the solution is there right away.

Yes, there are some shortcomings in the models, although I don't have to say what can't be fixed and the details are really good.
What did you buy? The old MCL35M or the update, some details have also been simplified for printing (FFF) with filament. That also makes the model less detailed. You can compare it well in my pictures.
Redbox wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:20 am like the real wheels and the wheel but, for example.
What do you mean with "real wheels"? Because they're made of resin too, right?
Greetings Thomas

Redbox
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Italy

Post by Redbox »

Sorry I wanted to write REAR wheels.
I bought the new MCL model (Monaco Version).
Is it less detailed than the original model? The description says the opposite... sigh!

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

steinietrabi wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:42 am Yes, it is best to use CA glue, it is simply the best. Resin is really the best way to fill in the gaps, CA glue is also possible, but why invent something new when the solution is there right away.
I fully agree, Resin is a nice way of filling gaps between parts, i even filled a 3mm deep gap with resin and after sanding, nothing is left over from the gap. Also a big point for painting, no surprises to expect.
When it comes to glue i also use CA for fast working, 2k Epoxy would need to much cure time and i can`t say if it is stayable like CA, i`m just in the beginning doing 3D Prints.

Very nice work Thomas, realy impressing! :)
Take a stand!

Redbox
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Italy

Post by Redbox »

Thank you for your feedback, I will go for CA. About the McL I startene re-modeling some 3D parts from zero. Like wheels, nuts, etc.

Topic author
steinietrabi
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Germany

Post by steinietrabi »

Redbox wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:05 pm Thank you for your feedback, I will go for CA. About the McL I startene re-modeling some 3D parts from zero. Like wheels, nuts, etc.
Let us see what you are doing ;)
Greetings Thomas