Post by -Felix- »

I will be joining :D

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: 1/6 Porsche 917 Engine Full Detail

Post by gp-models »

That frame looks fantastic! :)
I like such brass works, but i`m running out of flux (Flußmaterial), the one i ordered months ago is not good enough for such works, maybe low acid or whatever is different to my old stuff, but it don`t work.
Can you give me a hind which type is used on the frame? Can`t read the bottle on the picture.
Take a stand!

Dede
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Your Name: Dede
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: ....
Ireland

Post by Dede »

This is just beyond the beyonds, so Incredibly detailed, realistic and flawless. Amazing Workmanship.
Dede.

Topic author
VR2
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: VR2
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Gilles Villeneuve
Germany

Post by VR2 »

Thank you for your nice comments :-)

Some progress made on the camshaft drive. There are 2 overhead camshafts for each cylinder bank. The camshafts are mounted in a central camshaft housing part. Each cylinder head is mounted to this part with four head studs. The camshafts are covered by a upper and lower cover.

A special design feature of the 917 engine is the control of the camshafts by the centre output gear on the crankshaft. The cams where not operated by chains but a train of five gear wheels mounted in needle roller bearings on each side of the the crankshaft sprocket. These gears were mounted and run in a narrow magnesium box-housing, which was located on the crankcase by four dowel pins at it's inner face. The outer face provides support to the camshaft housing.

Model parts of the gear train, box-housing and bearings. The gears are functional and transmit the rotation of the crankshaft to the camshafts with a transmission ratio of 0.5
Cam_Drive _Gears_Bridge_S1.jpg
Box-housings assembled and ready to be mounted to crankcase
Cam_Drive _Gears_Bridge.jpg
Box-housing mounted to crankcase left half
CAD_CamDriveWIP_9.jpg

Left side camshaft housing part with upper camshaft ready for installation. The camshafts are running in eight bearings in the cam carrier casting. For the timing fine adjustment, Hans Mezger has designed a very simple and smart solution by means of having a disc with 17 holes fixed to the input gear and another gear with 16 holes on the same radius fixed on the camshaft. A pin through two mating holes locked the drive to the camshaft in a given position. Timing adjustment was made by moving the camshaft to the correct angular position with respect to the drive and placing the pin through the two holes that were then in line and then locking the assembly in that position with a large nut.

Upper camshaft with timing adjustment components ready for installation
Camshaft upper_left.jpg
Components of timing adjustment assembly
Camshaft Timing Adjustment.jpg
Both camshafts installed on left side cam carrier casting
CAD_CamDriveWIP_6.jpg
CAD_CamDriveWIP_8.jpg
On a different question asked by Guido concerning the soldering technique for the frame made of brass rods and tubes. There is a mix of hard-soldering and soft soldering technique. For both techniques only gas powered soldering torches are used (Proxxon). For the hard-soldering, I'm using silver solder paste and silver hard solder rods plus flux for silver solder (supplier: www.bengs-modellbau.de). For the soft-soldering, I'm using high temperature soft solder and the suitable flux of the same supplier. The process is pretty tricky, requires a lot of practice and patience but guarantees a very rigid frame.

I also like the idea of Roman about the "group therapy session" and Bill's proposal to held the first session in the Porsche Museum ;-)

BR, Uli

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Die Zylinderköpfe schauen einfach genial aus Uli! Very impressive job on that! :)
Thank you for information about the flux, i mainly use low temperature soldering but never used a paste for it, my old stuff is a liquid one which soaks itself into small gaps, very easy to apply to small parts, but i will try this paste as i don`t knwo where to find a liquid flux like my old stuff, even don`t know what it was cause it was a gift from a friend.
I can`t await your final result on this engine, so far it is highly impressing and i enjoy the updates on it a lot! All that is missing is oil and no one would realize that it is a model! :D
Take a stand!

scaleautofactory
Midfield
Midfield
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: LH44
Germany

Post by scaleautofactory »

I would take a 1/8 full engine to replace the toy like engine/gearbox repica from IXO...

and the drive shafts as well :)

MPK
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ayrton Senna
Finland

Post by MPK »

Uli, that’s fantastic!
Matti

Topic author
VR2
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: VR2
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari, Gilles Villeneuve
Germany

Post by VR2 »

Hi there, it's quite a while ago since my last update. Nevertheless, the project is progressing little by little. CAD work is almost done and most 3D printed and machined parts have been produced in 1:6 and 1:8 scale already. Next step will be to assembly all the auxiliaries and start with the final assembly afterwards.

Some impressions of the 1:6 scale parts dry fitting process:
917engine_1_6_assembly_1_S.jpg
917engine_1_6_assembly_2_S.jpg
917engine_1_6_assembly_3_S.jpg
917engine_1_6_assembly_4_S.jpg
In parallel to the 1:6 scale version, work on the rolling chassis of the 917K in 1:8 scale is progressing as well.

Test fit of the engine block in the not yet completed chassis:
P917 Rolling Chassis_wip1_s.jpg
... and here the almost completed chassis of my friend Guido - while I was working on the design/production of the engine, he could fully concentrate on the chassis :-). The only thing missing are the reinforcement plates which will be made of etched parts and soldered to the appropriate positions.
917chassis_finished_1_S.jpg
Next update will be about some detailed views on the assembly of the Bosch mechanical fuel pump, the distributors and the alternators. All auxiliaries are fully detailed internally.

BR,
Uli

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

Absolutely impressive work Uli, simply awesome! :)
Take a stand!

Leftkeys
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Bill
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Lotus, McLaren, Ferrari
United States of America

Post by Leftkeys »

I just love this! Amazing work Uli (and Guido)!