1968 1/25 Eagle T1F scratch build attempt

About making you own...

Topic author
f14kdc
Formula e
Formula e

1968 1/25 Eagle T1F scratch build attempt

Post by f14kdc »

I am attempting to build either the 1967 or 1968 F1 Eagle based on the MPC 1/25 Olsonite Eagle kit. Major issue is the V12 engine. Has any one attempted to do this? What kit's engine can I use to make/modify for a V12 engine with trumpets in the middle. Maybe use the kit's Weslake Ford engine? Please be specify on who's/manufacturer model kit can I use as a base to do this. Thanks.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: 1968 1/25 Eagle T1F scratch build attempt

Post by JamesB »

Hi, and first of all good luck with the opperation :D
Well, first consider that you don't necessarily need all the structure of the engine, but mostly camcovers, trumpets and exhausts, as most of the rest is concealed by the body.
Exhaust pipes you may do with electric wire or soldering wire. Trumpets, yes you might use a donor or do them with plastic tube. There are also wire connectors

Then remains the camcovers. You may scratch build them, or just make a decal that tries to represent the detail on them.
V12 at this scale? the Protar Ferrari 512S (though it's not that lookalike) or the Union/Heller 330P4. The Italeri Daytona has a 3 litre V12, but looks really big, and different. And then there's the Tamiya Ferrari F 189, where the engne is indeed a V12.
But I'd go the scratch built option. An engine is just a chunk of plastic connecting tub and gearbox, with some details on it, when you need it to be just that :wink:

Topic author
f14kdc
Formula e
Formula e

Re: 1968 1/25 Eagle T1F scratch build attempt

Post by f14kdc »

Thank James for your comments. To make things clear I am using parts of the MPC but a Lotus 38 body from either the AMT or IMC kits. For engine I am thinking of the Protar Ferrari 512S very likely so far and I understand using a "block" of plastic for the engine. I curious about a decal for the cam covers. Is there one available? Thanks.