WILLIAMS FW09 (NOT KAWAI!)

About making you own...

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

WILLIAMS FW09 (NOT KAWAI!)

Post by JamesB »

You know, this kind of thing that begins as a series of comments on a thread, a swap of emails and finally you end up saying let's go!
Generally, this usually ends in making a decal set, since it's easier.

So well, after considering the shortcomings of the Kawai FW09, after watching how difficult it is to turn into a decent '84 car (the '83 version is much closer) and after saying that it's easier to do from a FW07, and remembering I did that 25 years ago... I decided to do it again.

Back then I used a plastic FW07. I chopped nose, created side panels for front chassis, the bulky fuel tank, the ugly nose... I did the wings and cut sidepods and recemented them some mm backwards... I still have the wreckage parts somewhere, I'll put them together and post a pic!
I even painted the thing and most of sponsorship was done with handbrush!! :shock: :shock:

But now I have my own FW07 clones in resin. I did the mould to do fast tests of deal sets that were good to create versions of FW07... the rest is history.

Solid resin have advantages and disadvantages over the hollow plastic equivalents.
A disadvantege is that while in plastic you can chop a sidepod, remove what you don't need and glue it back in its new position, on resin, generally what you remove you can say goodbye. The process is much more "violent"
An advantage is that you can sand it down to the bones without finding the hollow area. That said, sanding is dangerous since dust is really bad (you know, "don't try this at home!!").

So instead of casting a typical FW07, I placed two silicone bits that allowed an easier sidepod shortening.
Attachments
As it comes out of the mould. Note the silicone bits within...
As it comes out of the mould. Note the silicone bits within...
...and so it looks after removing the "intruder" silicone bits.
...and so it looks after removing the "intruder" silicone bits.
I start removing what I don't need. I prefer methods that don't produce dust, so I'll rather use pliers and cutter than power razors or saws...
I start removing what I don't need. I prefer methods that don't produce dust, so I'll rather use pliers and cutter than power razors or saws...

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Re: WILLIAMS FW09 (NOT KAWAI!)

Post by JamesB »

I keep on removing. I soon realized I should have put the silicone a bit more backwards, but well. I'll remove more resin!
About the width, I use a rare FW09 zenithal pic. I see it's 30mm at shoulders level. So I'll have to remove all taht protrudes laterally the cockpit sides. That's harder!!
I should remind that this car might also be done from a Burago FW08, but the Zamak alloy is less modification-friendly...
Attachments
Let's go: bye bye radiators
Let's go: bye bye radiators
Remove and remove...
Remove and remove...
That's the thing after the rough chopping.
That's the thing after the rough chopping.

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Though I don't trust much the Kawai measures, I supose amidships' widths are trustable, that means that all the rest of suspension fairing must go, almost to the width of the FW07 chassis...
Attachments
DSCN1033.JPG

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Since you must be wondering how I'll go on...

1-A 2mm plastic sheet will go as floor, to help get the correct overall heigths.
2-after removin every width exess, I'll add plastic sheet sidewalls to make the front part of chassis and nose.
3-Maybe I'll sand a bit the windshield so it's a bit more vertical. Will have tocheck pics.
4-An horizontal plastic sheet will do the nose upper face.
5- Since the car has extended wheelbase, probably the FW07 tail sahep will do the bottleneck shape.
6- I'll remove more material front shortened sidepods fronts, first in length, then giving the rounded shape of radiator exit.
7- To have the sidepods, plastic will be added laterally and also the front upper surfaces.
8-And the bulk of the engine cover will be done with putty.
9-Cockpit is much different but I'll mostly leave it like that...

vekkuli
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stake Sauber
Finland

Post by vekkuli »

Impressive :) I'll watch this with great Interest

Dalin1
Backmarker
Backmarker

Post by Dalin1 »

Hey James,
nice attempt, I am just wondering if it might be any easier to convert FW07 into FW09, or scratchbuild the car completely :-)
Will watch yours, though, as we all know your abilities ;-)

Hey, and seriously you entered this into the "Speed build" section?

Dalin

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Dalin1 wrote:Hey James,
nice attempt, I am just wondering if it might be any easier to convert FW07 into FW09, or scratchbuild the car completely :-)
No, the fact of having a base really helps ;-) and it'd be even easier with a plastic 07. Nevertheless, the steps done are much easier than it seems. I just spent two hours or less... :)
Dalin1 wrote: Will watch yours, though, as we all know your abilities ;-)
Thanks!
Dalin1 wrote: Hey, and seriously you entered this into the "Speed build" section?
No, I didn't: I do know that somewhere on the road I'll get stalled!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

BigDuke6
Major Constructor
Major Constructor

Post by BigDuke6 »

Nice work.. the cutting method is great, considering us modelers try to be as precise as possible, here you are with tools stolen from the shed!

Bravo =) Can't wait to see more!

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

BigDuke6 wrote:Nice work.. the cutting method is great, considering us modelers try to be as precise as possible, here you are with tools stolen from the shed!

Bravo =) Can't wait to see more!
Thanks! :)
Yeah, you're right about the cutting method: rough work is plow-like tools. Then fine job can be done with what's needed ;-)
That's the good thing of using a regular bodywork as a base: you have references.

Topic author
JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

I am evolving a bit the build.
I will do resin copies of the result.
At the beginning I considered if it was possible to have the 09 and the 09B with the same casting, but differences are to great.
I'll first do the Dallas winning car. Long wheelbase version with bottleneck tail will follow.

I have some doubts:

-I have decided that wheelbases are 265cm and 277m for 09 and 09B resp. but if anyone can give further data, come on.
-Decal sheet should make Brazil, Dallas and most of late GGPP. Nevertheless I have some doubts about some middle season stickers belonging to ICI group, probably. One is a greyish rombus, other a blue "V" made of 5 square bits (Nurburgring), other a small sticker with three oval dark blue spots.
-While the short version will have the rear end with visible mechanicals, FW07 style, I supose the FW09B has the rear stuff well packed, a bit like an MP4/2. Any pics?
-I expect to have some done for june end. If someone is interested, please tell, so I know how many decals to order...

-Oh yes I am still making progress with the JS11/15 ;-)