F1 News and Info

tubegenius
Top Designer
Top Designer
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Honda powered teams
United States of America

Re: Las Vegas night race 2023

Post by tubegenius »

Is it etched in stone that F-1 can never, ever, ever, race again at indy? I'm well aware of the 2005 fiasco, but that was nearly 20 years ago. COTA + Indy + 1 street race would be tolerable to me. Also, Indy would balance out the geographical disparity of all 3 races being near the southern perimeter of the country. I do feel for whomever will be losing their race as a result of this, but the stark reality is that F-1 is a money gorging machine, and must go where the money is.

SeanMAIN
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: Me
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: My wife. Just kidding!
United States of America

Post by SeanMAIN »

Mr.Grumpy wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:09 am thumbs down on night races and street races no matter where they are.
Why?

SeanMAIN
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
United States of America

Post by SeanMAIN »

tubegenius wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:28 pm Is it etched in stone that F-1 can never, ever, ever, race again at indy? I'm well aware of the 2005 fiasco, but that was nearly 20 years ago. COTA + Indy + 1 street race would be tolerable to me. Also, Indy would balance out the geographical disparity of all 3 races being near the southern perimeter of the country. I do feel for whomever will be losing their race as a result of this, but the stark reality is that F-1 is a money gorging machine, and must go where the money is.
I think if Indy/Penske wanted one badly enough, he could make it happen. Perhaps it is not the right place for it. I’d rather see MotoGP there. The Western US could use an F1 race and Vegas has it all in terms of flash, something Indy lacks. Nothing personal, but I’m not going to Indiana to party. The 500, absolutely. MotoGP, likely. F1, not a chance. I’d rather go to Europe where I’ve been to several races. It’s going to be the new Monaco.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

tubegenius wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:28 pm Is it etched in stone that F-1 can never, ever, ever, race again at indy? I'm well aware of the 2005 fiasco, but that was nearly 20 years ago. COTA + Indy + 1 street race would be tolerable to me. Also, Indy would balance out the geographical disparity of all 3 races being near the southern perimeter of the country. I do feel for whomever will be losing their race as a result of this, but the stark reality is that F-1 is a money gorging machine, and must go where the money is.
They can go back, and its come up a few times. As we saw in 2020 running under a minute lap time is OK in F1, and I suspect with the track changes since the last grand prix, and likely not using the Indy turn 1 chicane, we'd be under a minute with the existing F1 cars.

I think there wasn't the interest with the George family, but with Penske there is likely more of an interest, but a lot depends on how Miami goes. The ticket prices are crazy but they did sell out...but I'm not sure that is repeatable. I could see it as a one and done situation. This feels a bit like Indy 2000 when locals were talking about the crazy money F1 had and how people were getting flooring replaced in their hotel rooms for the weekend, when the reality was the real story was F1 teams were putting their own flooring in the garage. I haven't been tracking the resell prices on tickets for this race.

Mr.Grumpy
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jacques Villeneuve
Canada

Post by Mr.Grumpy »

SeanMAIN wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:32 pm
Mr.Grumpy wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:09 am thumbs down on night races and street races no matter where they are.
Why?
Visually I find the night races hard to watch compared to during the day. I like the idea of one night race as a gimmick but would prefer to see the cars in the light on a "proper" racing circuit like they were meant to be.

As far as the street races go, I prefer to see racing as opposed to safety cars and yellow flags. I'd take monza, spa, montreal any day over any street circuit F1 could ever conceive of.

SeanMAIN
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
United States of America

Post by SeanMAIN »

Fair enough. So Monaco should go in your opinion? To me, it’s the most boring race of the year.