Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Your Name: C K
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Mercedes, McLaren, Williams
Canada

Re: Honda leave F1

Post by CK »

Yes, it is also reported on Sky F1.

This gets RB and AT into a corner for engine supply for 2022. Mercedes already supplies 4 teams and does not need to support any more teams. Ferrari engine is in trouble. This leaves only Renault as the most likely option which is not an easy path with their recent history.

I hope they can find a solution. Otherwise, the 2022 season will be pretty predictable again.
C K
Canada

daveyman
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Riccardo Patrese
Great Britain

Post by daveyman »

There is no available competitve engine for them. Even if they persuade someone new into the sport it would be at least 2025 before they were up to speed.
I can see them losing Max and if a buyer appeared I could see Red Bull walking away.

JamesB
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by JamesB »

Also heard! Shocking, F1 has lived before with just 3 engine makes though.
Merc also sells team and becomes the new Cosworth?

daniel
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Schumacher
Germany

Post by daniel »

JamesB wrote:Merc also sells team and becomes the new Cosworth?
But I fear more likely it will be Mercedes stopping F1 completely because E-cars is the future and they won't longer invest time and money in a dying technology...
Sad time ahead I fear...but it looks they are coming faster than I hoped for.

And in the end it will be Formula Ferrari only ;)

https://www.facebook.com/scale.details

ElectricRodeo1
Formula e
Formula e
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jaguar F1
United States of America

Post by ElectricRodeo1 »

It’s a shame we will only have Toyota in WRC to represent Japan in the two most high profile racing series in Europe.

Orso
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Team Lotus
Sweden

Post by Orso »

Not surprising as many car manufacturers stop developing new petrol engines. I guess motor sports will follow. You better prepare yourself for F1 going electric.

turboF1
FOTA Vice Chairman
FOTA Vice Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Renault Sport
United States of America

Post by turboF1 »

I fear this is the beginning of the end for F1 as we knew it. European leaders are pushing hard to bury the internal combustion engine. States like California are following in this government mandated push. Why does it have to be government mandated? Because the average person doesn’t want an EV. They are expensive, heavy, and a hassle to keep charged. Also we all have smart phones and how long do those batteries last? 5-6 years if your lucky. That’s the same technology in an EV. As far as I’m concerned sad days ahead for classic car lovers like myself and the end to the used car market where one could actually fix and maintain a car for decades.
The only hope is if there is someway to liquify hydrogen. If some chemist can invent that the fuel cell could live along side the IC engine and both be carbon free.

stubeck
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Stewart Grand Prix
United States of America

Post by stubeck »

I don't think its as apcoplytic as that. F1 decided to go hybrid semi-early and then never made any attempt either by the FIA, the press or the teams to properly explain how amazing the engines are. So we have a quiet engine that casuals don't understand, cost the teams a heapload of money as well as pushed teams to run cars longer than an F150.

If they decided to standardize on a common hybrid setup for 2022 and level the playing field, that should be pretty straight forward and fix a lot of the problems. I'm not sure why F1 didn't level the playing field early on in the hybrid era either. Whats good with the turbos is they can relatively simply lower pressure on more powerful engines if they chose to.

Hydrogen is already the future and we have cars running it for a long time too. I think that would be a good way for F1 to move in the future for example. In the US for example I'd love to have an electric...but when I looked at the range for the VW Golf EV, I'd have to charge it at work to get home (I have a 67 mile one way trip). Hydrogen would work for what I want.

The obvious choice for RBR moving forward, if they stay in the sport, is to go with Renault. I think the issues between them is overblown and if Renault is winning in the back of an RBR, it will be seen as good for everyone. Most of the issues were the investments Renault promised they would do during the hybrid era that never occurred.

tifosi157
F2 Champion
F2 Champion

Post by tifosi157 »

typical honda.....come & go like F1 is disneyland.