-Felix-
F2 Champion
F2 Champion
Your Name: Felix
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark
Germany

Re: 1/12 MFH July 2022 news

Post by -Felix- »

Nobody talked about politics, when in March MFH announced the Alfa 8C from 1938, which was developed under an also fascist regime of Mussolini in italy and was close to forming an ally with germany early 1939?

The cars of that era were an astonishing piece of innovation and engineering and should be acknowledged for that. Don't know why one would bring politics into this.

Topic author
sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

well I've scrapped two long a.. replies to this.
I for one can separate the prevalent ideology of those countries from the cars, planes, ships, whatever. To me they are engineering marvels packaged in beautiful shapes with awe inspiring noises coming out of them and I enjoy them for that, not for the historic reason of why and how they were conceived. Otherwise having a model of a Saturn V has to be frowned upon as well, as it is based on technologies developed by.. gasp.. a Nazi immigrant. Still it is an awesome piece of technology and quite beautiful in my eyes.
Depending on the final product I might go for the Type C (not 100% sold on the accuracy of the shape at the moment) - or for any other race car from the 1930s that I like. But I can understand why some would not want to have those near them, and I'm cool with that.
Cheers,
Roman

racingkars
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Ferrari
Netherlands

Post by racingkars »

I simply do not like this type of cars.
So... everyone... does not apply for me.
That's just what i said.
No word about politics from my side.
Kars

http://www.racingkars.nl (WIPs)
http://www.racingkars.com (sales)
Websites in Nederlands/English
English is not my native language, so sorry for any incorrect words or style... I have no intention to offend you.

gp-models
FOTA Chairman
FOTA Chairman

Post by gp-models »

F1tommy wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:45 am That should be a good seller as everyone loves the Nazi government cars as they drove manufactures in Germany to much higher technical aspirations.
What a shameless and displaced commend! :roll:

I`ve never seen a modeler doing a model based on politics, and i mean ANY POLITICS!!
I believe that most modelers are up to scale, and that even includes badges or whatever else. To me it was allways up to technical improvements, Records or special drivers and i never did not even care about personal opinions of the drivers, even they have been prooved to be wrong with their opinion.
Should modelers pass on Planes too when they want to build a model or do you take care of Tobaco signs even politics forbit it? If so, please take away any plane the Nazi goverment ever released and explain it to the modelers in an accurate way, and don`t forget to cancel all american planes, russian, Japan and any other planes too! All of them has dirt and blood on it`s hands!
Take a lesson in history before you post BS!
Back to topic, it`s a great oppertunity i`ve never seen before to build this iconic car, still have to pass on it unfortunately as things are going nuts.
Take a stand!

F1tommy
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda Brabham Alfa
United States of America

Post by F1tommy »

My comment is based on fact. You must remember the past no matter if you like it or not, so don't you get high and mighty on me.

Back to topic.

F1tommy
Constructors Champion
Constructors Champion
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Niki Lauda Brabham Alfa
United States of America

Post by F1tommy »

I feel alot of you feel guilty for liking this car. You should not as war and things leading up to war bring out some of the best engineering the world has ever seen, but understand where it came from. People collect WWII aircraft and tank models, and they are very popular so why would this car not be. Also the 1938 2.9 MM cars were made during the same period. The Saturn V is pushing it but I understand if you want to include that. Good things sometimes come from bad things. Don't be a woke crowd.

woodgp
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: j.wood
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: williams
Canada

Post by woodgp »

hi.. i'am with Tommy on this one boys , really did you think he meant anything more then quality went up in workmanship , metals got better etc .
i'am tired of people jumping on someone for what read into it ....
i'am going to make a tee shirt ... be careful i'am not woke !

woodgp
Best of the Rest
Best of the Rest
Your Name: j.wood
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: williams
Canada

Post by woodgp »

and sorry but back to modelling please

Topic author
sky1911
Major Constructor
Major Constructor
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Jim Clark, Lotus
Germany

Post by sky1911 »

Actually, my comment wasn't aimed at Tommy's but the one right below which was a direct reply to his. Tommy's might have been phrased a bit provocative in the views of some but it is true after all. My Saturn V reference was thrown in just to illustrate that excluding something based on the ideology or political view that sponsored its inception might have far reaching consequences and limits you as to your potential build subjects. And if that is taken into consideration when making buying decisions, it should be applied to other areas as well, otherwise it might be seen a bit biased. And just for argument's sake Alfa Romeo was owned by the Italian government during the 1930s and their top head happened to be another fascist. So, will those cars also be taken from the potential subject lists for those individuals? If so, that actually saddens me, but then again everyone is entitled to his or her world view and opinion. And as always, the beauty of a subject is in the eyes of the beholder. Some love today's F1 cars which I only glance at and move on without so much as a second thought while at the same time peeing my pants for getting yet another 917 variant (btw, I'm still waiting for the 1969 917 long/short tail Mr. Hiro ;)) which maybe everyone else is way beyond tired off at this time.

BLA!

Anyway, according to the text on the MFH page the model will be made after the early (first half of the season) 1936 specs up to the German GP. One thing I noted on checking my reference pics of the car at the VW museum in the "Autostadt" is that that car had Dunlops on it whereas the model shows Continental Ballons. I believe the museum car to be yet another recreation, so tyres might be as well. However, the profile shown on either model and museum piece does not match my reference, similar but still wrong. Go here for a period pic: https://fisale.2021onlineshops.com/cont ... 20f1&id=23
Also worth noting, they engine shown in the above mentioned museum only shows the engine and not the gearbox...
Cheers,
Roman

Joaquin
Midfield
Midfield
Your Name: Joaquin
Favorite F1 Team or Driver: Chapman's Lotus
Spain

Post by Joaquin »

In that period Auto Union was using Continental tyres for sure. I have seen a picture of Hans Stuck posing with his car at a Hillclimb race and letter CON are clearly visible on the tyre

Please take a look over this article

https://topgear-autoguide.com/category/ ... 1607608510